Em Sex, 2009-03-20 às 14:08 +0100, Jonathan Worthington escreveu:
> It's probably a minor issue, but part of me wants Junction to be OK too
> for explaining stuff. Telling people the default parameter type is Any,
> to accept anything they can write Object and to accept just junctions
> you write Junction is pretty clear...having to then explain why you
> write Any and Object but then junction (lowercase) feels awkward.

everything is an Object.
not everything is Any. That is still true.

junction is a native type that doesn't do Any, and so far it seems to be
the only one. The capital vs lowercase J does not change that, it only
tells you that you cannot subclass "junction" as you can with non-native
objects.

> > Actually, if we support that, we kinda loose the point of making it a
> > native type...
> I don't quite follow this.

The point of having it as native is that you don't need to do a
high-level method call to implement the autothreading, since it's a
native type, you can assume its representation format and go directly
into its guts to get the values...

> But it does bring an interesting point - if we have a Junction role
> then it's probably something that people can do on their own classes
> to make their own thingies that auto-threading.

Meaning the auto-threading need to do a high-level method call to do
that...

> It had perhaps better require things doing the role to provide the !
> eigenstates private though, otherwise the dispatcher is going to be
> rather unhappy...

But... if the dispatcher needs to call it, it shouldn't be private
right? or is the dispatcher a specific class that Junction
implementation can trust?

daniel