Parrot Raiser wrote:
One of the common factors that has contributed to the longevity of
Unix (in the generic sense), and the Internet, is their layered
architectures.

+1 for layered architectures.

If this discussion can be split into clear layers,  (what gets stored,
where, how, &c.) it might be easier to produce results.

I feel similar. I attempted to do something like that with my wiki page, but that didn't work so well. Now I'm trying a new approach: I am in IRC working with Rakudo folk on how Rakudo is going to store modules on the disk. Once that is done, one can begin talking about a package format and an installer, and then go from there.

So far the discussion has been productive and we have some code written that we can experiment with. So I feel encouraged.

Daniel.