On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 03:48:10PM +0400, Richard Hainsworth wrote:
> After reading this thread and S17, I have lots of questions and some
> remarks.
>
> Parallelism and Concurrency could be considered to be two different things.
>
> The hyperoperators and junctions imply, but do not require, parallelism.
> It is left for the implementors to resolve whether a single or multiple
> processor(s) is/are used. Hence, parallelism could be considered to be
> something under the hood of perl6 and not directly specified.
>
> Given that:
> - concurrency is a topic of ongoing research
> - several models of concurrency have been tried, including two in perl5
> - there are a variety of contexts (internet, clouds, multiple cores, etc)
> - different operating systems provide different resources
>
> then:
> How much needs to be specified and implemented in perl6 so that
> different concurrency models can be implemented in modules to take into
> account the above diversity?
>
> The less, or rather the more abstract, the specification in perl6, the
> less likely perl6 will 'age'.

I might be over simplifying this, but you're going to be building on
essentially 2 different underlying approaches - one is message
passing. The second is threading - I mean *real* threading.  If these
basic facilities are provided in the base, or even via a couple of
robust and tightly integrated modules, then I believe any other scheme
one wishes to implement (even a hybrid scheme), could be done so -
thus solidifying Perl 6's ability to implement the parallel scheme de
jour.

Brett

--
B. Estrade <estr...@gmail.com>