Hi Sayth,

On 17.11.2014 12:51, Sayth Renshaw wrote:
As a person new and looking at Perl 6 as I have done over the time I am
interested to know from Perl 6 Language advocates what exactly the
strength and benefit of Perl 6 is and will likely be?

* Perl 6's built-in grammars make parsing really easy and fun
* Perl 6 is one of the very few languages designed with extensibility in mind
* Concurrency through high-level abstractions, not just locks and threads
* gradual typing

Is there a particular domain it is going to be especially useful for ?

I think it's a bit early to answer that, we can only speculate now.

Is it going to be able to design a better Node.js, or Angular, or Numpy
etc, is it excelling at multi-core( yapc 2013 paper
http://jnthn.net/papers/2013-yapceu-conc.pdf) and real-time apps(spa's
etc) or a sys admin tool?

I am trying to get a feel for the why? I can see the why over
python(it's the same with prior versions), but what interests is why
over Go or Ruby or Clojure?

over all of them: grammars

over Go: parameterized types, exceptions, mutable syntax
over Ruby: gradual typing, concurrency

I don't know Clojure enough to comment.

Would the PDL (http://pdl.perl.org/) written in Perl 6 have an advantage
to the developer team and to end users?

Perl 6 has compact data structures, which means that the implementation can be done memory-efficiently in Perl 6 without falling back to C (though you can still use the structures from C very easily).

What would/could catalyst (http://www.catalystframework.org/) do better
if in Perl 6?

For one, the association between methods and routes, which is done with rather fragile Perl 5 sub attributes; in Perl 6 one can use method traits, which are more flexible and robust. But again my understanding of Catalyst is limited.

Cheers,
Moritz