If my understanding is correct (might not be), the tarball should be ALMOST
equivalent to:

    rakudobrew build moar 2016.01.1     # Install rakudo 2016.01.1
    rakudobrew global 2016.01.1         # Make this the default
    rakudobrew build panda              # Build panda for this rakudo
    panda install Task::Star            # Get the latest Task::Star, needs
--force to do again

I just did these steps on my Debian machine with no problems.

The main issue I can think of is the last step -- installing Task::Star
installs the current version of all the packages, whereas the tarball
rakudo-star release includes a specific version of each of the Star
modules. If someone updates SVG then this will get the LATEST, not the one
in the official release. I think this is a weakness of the versioning
system -- ideally you'd be able to do something like "panda install
Task::Star=2016.01" and get the exact same thing.

I see Moritz replied to this also saying that the tarball is the way to go.
I'd love to know what I'm missing out on by doing it this way.

--Brock