At 02:48 PM 8/4/00 -0400, John Tobey wrote:
>Dan Sugalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Yup, and I realized one of my big problems to GCs that move memory
> > (references that are pointers and such) really isn't, if we keep the
> > two-level variable structure that we have now. The 'main' SV structure
> > won't move, while the guts that the equivalent of sv_any points to can
> > without a problem.
>
>I certainly hope this data layout factoid is still subject to change.

Well, the layout of variables is subject to change, certainly, though
playing games with pointer bits for data typing's likely right out. The
second level of the variable doesn't actually have to exist--I don't mind
if a scalar's data pointer is coopted to be an integer, say, or a float if
its big enough.

Nothing's set in stone, so do feel free to put an RFC together for it. (I
can be convinced... :)