Alan Burlison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>No, I disagree.  Perl gains a lot of its expressive power from being lax
>about typing.  I suspect it will also impose an unacceptable overhed for
>the vast majority who don't want it - at the very least every variable
>access will have to check an 'are you typed' flag.

Cross posted to internals ('cos it is...)

We should consider using "vtables" to avoid the cost of the conditional
branches (and running out of flag bits).

Thus this function would call variables "type check" "method" -
which for normal case would be pointer to blue-white-hot "NoOp" function
which is near always in-cache, for a typed var it could be a slow
as you wanted...

--
Nick Ing-Simmons