Simon Cozens wrote:

> > I still think that with the correct
> > DTD writing the specs in XML would be doable.
>
> DocBook strikes me as being made for this sort of thing.

Yak! no.  DocBook is for specifying published document layout and is
pretty huge - far too weighty for what we want.  I'm thinking more along
the lines of a DTD that specifically couched in terms of what we are
documenting rather than how it should be rendered,

<function>
        <declaration>
        int myfunct(mystruct_t *msp);
        </declaration>

        <comment>
        This function...
        </comment>

        <discussion href="http://some.mail.archive/..." />
</function>

This could be extended ad nauseam to include all sorts of attibutes and
entities, e.g. module, file, algorithm, pre and post conditions, test
conditions etc.

I think probably the best thing is to draft an initial design doc in POE
(Plain Old English) and see if it makes any sense to tag the various
bits.

Alan Burlison