> maybe some of us should go to an rtos/embedded show and ask around "how
> often is perl requested?"

Perl already exists for QNX, though of course QNX most often runs on x86s.
Some might consider EPOC to be an embedded OS (running on ARMs).  But I
have had Perl requested for VxWorks (and of course PalmOS, and PocketPC
formely known as WinCE).

> in network controllers (linksys type things) and other embedded stuff in
> that world, perl has requested. i have seen support mentioned for
> vxworks, psos and and maybe othe rtos systems. that is more of an OS
> problem than a chip one. gcc is used on almost all those systems so perl

An OS problem and a build environment (cross-compilation, yuk)
problem.  I once managed to compile miniperl (5.005) for Chorus.
I'm about to unearth the cross-compilation changes I had to make to
get that working.  (You thought Configure was hairy enough already?
Think again: the test executables have transfered to and run on the
target platform, and the results shipped back to the build platform
(where Configure is running))

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen