On Friday 16 February 2001 14:55, Simon Cozens wrote:
> Secondly and more importantly, it guarantees that we've got a copy of
Perl on
> hand before Perl 6 is built. This allows us to reduce the level of
> preprocessor muddling by effectively generating the C source to Perl 6
from
> templates and preprocessing. For instance, I expect to see a little macro
> language develop for specifying vtable methods, which, when preprocessed,
> would also generate the vtables and their corresponding enums. I'd also
like
> to see Perl choose whether or not a function should invoke the native C
> library's implementation or define its own.
>
> What do people think?

One of the early ideas proposed by a couple of people is that perl be
written in whatever language the XS replacement will be, for solidifying
the interface, making it bootstrappable, etc.  Even with Inline, now, there
still needs to be some heavy interface - but there would still be some
consistency.

--
Bryan C. Warnock
[EMAIL PROTECTED]