On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Simon Cozens wrote:

> Larry has guaranteed that Perl 6 will be built "out of the same source tree"
> as Perl 5. This is a major win for us in two areas. Firstly, we can reuse the
> information determined by Perl 5's Configure process to help make Perl 6
> portable:

> Secondly and more importantly, it guarantees that we've got a copy of Perl on
> hand before Perl 6 is built.

Hmm.  I thought that was more of a transitional idea, not a permanent
state of affairs.  That is, perl5 re-used a lot of perl4 stuff while still
in development; perl6 can probably profitably do the same.  However,
eventually, perl4 stuff went away (or got absorbed outright).  The same
should ultimately happen to perl5 stuff, or else we're stuck forever
maintaining both perl5 *and* perl6.

Still, it indeed may be a very good way to get things going and allow us
to postpone worrying about Configure's replacement.

--
    Andy Dougherty              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Dept. of Physics