> > Most won't, honestly. At a guess, 90% of perl's current userbase doesn't
> > care about Unicode for any reason other than XML,

The next version of Gtk+ will use utf8. Qt use unicode already. Tk
will probably move in the same direction if it doesn't do it already.
So most user interface applications written in perl will care about
unicode. But that is not the whole point. The applications will
have data files and config files in unicode and we need perl to handle that.
I think also that in the next few years we will see more and more
the need of conversions from 'old' encodings to unicode: I want to be
able to do that easily in perl.

lupus

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     debian/rules
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                             Monkeys do it better