At 06:25 PM 5/29/2001 +0100, Dave Mitchell wrote:

>Well, My first draft of "Conventions and Guidelines for Perl Source Code"
>passed by with remarkably little scathing. Either you all loved it,
>or just didn't read it. (Shades of Warnock's Dilemma).

Consider it more a recognition of sensible things. :)

>Dan - if there aren't any big objections, would be it okay to
>formally submit this after minor corrections?

Yup. I've two, and with those made it's in.

>[ Crumbs! I've just laid down the law to a bunch of P5Pers about the
>minutiae of how they must code in future, and I've heard barely a whimper.
>Are you all on Prozac or something ;-) ]

I think you overestimate how cranky folks are likely to get over this.
Yeah, everyone's got their own preferred way of doing things, but we're all
professionals here, and everyone recognizes that a set of consistent rules
is the most important thing. (We'll save the fire for other, more
interesting, things... :)

Anyway, the two alterations I have are:

1) The indentation should be all tabs or all spaces. No mix, it's a pain.
(As has been already pointed out) 4 column indent per level, all spaces.

2) Emphasize that the internal data types and their utility functions
(*especially* for strings) should be used over a bare char * whenever
possible. I would, honestly, like to have no char * in the source anywhere,
except as part of a string structure. (Which includes a string and buffer
length) C's standard string library should be avoided at all costs. It'll
make dealing with mixed string types (UTF-8, ASCII, EBCDIC, Shift-JIS, or
whatever) easier, and help localize the spots we're likely to run into
buffer overrun problems.