On Sun, 23 Sep 2001 21:45:39 -0400, Dan Sugalski wrote:

>>We're talking bytecode. That will indeed be a case of "huge arrays of
>>tightly packed integers".
>
>For bytecode, it's not a big problem, certainly not one I'm worried about.
>Machines that want 64-bit ints have, likely speaking, more than enough
>memory to handle the larger bytecode.

I'm more worried about the cache. For 32 bit bytecodes, the same program
will be only half the size than for 64 bit. Or: you can fit a twice as
large program in the cache, or two of them (for multitasking). That will
mean a speed-up, and likely a vast one for programs with sizes close
enough the cache size.

--
        Bart.