Dan Sugalski writes:
> Speaking from on high here, bytecode is strictly identifiable as to its
> characteristics. It will be as portable as a platform implementer wants it
> to be. The only 'required' types of bytecode that need to be read are
> 32-bit integer (both big and little endian) with 8-byte IEEE floats for FP
> constants. Everything else is optional, though if the code's small I fully
> expect we'll ship with a full complement of translators.

Here's what I want.  In the real world, I want the reference C
implementation of Parrot to read and write a bytecode that will be
portable to other people using the reference C implementation.  If
someone wants to implement a faster, smaller, non-portable bytecode,
then that's cool.  But I really really really want the default out of
the box to be able to let us distribute compiled Perl programs.

Is that how the system you're describing will work?  (Apologies if
it's blindingly obvious, it's not so to thicky old me)

Nat