Okey dokey...this patch is scratched; thanks for the feedback.  However, I
will probably issue another one soon that makes sure that intval is never
used in the bytecode, only opcode_t.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Sugalski
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Gibbs Tanton - tgibbs; '[EMAIL PROTECTED] '
Sent: 10/4/2001 11:05 AM
Subject: Re: moving integer constants to the constant table

At 11:29 AM 10/4/2001 -0400, Bryan C. Warnock wrote:
>Just the fact that we needed this patch in the first place indicates
that
>we're not doing *nearly* enough talking beforehand of some of the
>particulars of Dan's overall design.

That's the thing, though--we *don't* need this patch, not for integer
constants. It's actually detrimental to performance in many ways.

Parrot guarantees you can embed 32-bit signed integer constants in the
instruction stream, and that's it. These constants are used to load up
integer registers, sure, but they're also used for jump offsets. Integer

*variable* constants should go in the constant table. We don't have any
of
those yet, though. They come in with the PMC stuff.

Which isn't to say the design shouldn't be worked over and talked about.
It
should, and it should get re-evaluated as we go along. (And all the code
write should probably ultimately be replaced with code that actually
works... :)

                                        Dan