James Mastros sent the following bits through the ether:

> Perhaps it's just too late at night, but if this cange makes it better,
> tighter code, shouldn't it make the MOPS numbers look better, not worse?

Right: the older code did the average of three ops (eq, add, and
branch), and the new code does the average of two ops (add, lt). The
branch is the simplest in terms of complexity, so taking it own makes
the average slower. That's why the MOPS result doesn't mean much, but
the new code is simpler and *faster*, which is why I suggested it.
(just not faster per op, you see)

Hope that makes it clear, Leon
--
Leon Brocard.............................http://www.astray.com/