On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 06:05:51PM -0500, Michael L Maraist wrote:

> treat them separately.  We're already having to treat handles differently
> than buffer-objects.  I'm also wanting to segregate lists of leaf-buffers,

Ok here is a reference to the thread that mentioned copy-on-write for sharing
of string buffers.

http:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/msg03242.html

The final idea was to share string buffers among PMCs only for a special PMC
class which makes copies of the buffer when modified. This is useful for
constants strings.

Always trying to share buffers would not be useful, since most of the time a
string is copied in order to munge it.

So going to your original question, here we have potentially common case where
a given buffer has multiple parents.

--
Jason