> On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Ken Fox wrote:
> > It sounds like you want portable byte code. Is that a goal?
> I do indeed want portable packfiles, and I thought that was more then a
> "goal", I thought that was a "requirement".  In an ideal world, I want a
> PVM to be intergrated in a webbrowser the same way a JVM is now.

I think we should separate packfile from runtime image file. If we want
the runtime can run a mmapped (pack)file, the file can not be portable.
We have to deal with endianness, alignment, floating point format
etc.

> I think we can get the best of both worlds.  We, I think, should be able
> to get the bytecode format such that it is mmapable on platforms with the
> same endiannes and sizeof(INTVAL), and nonmmapable otherwise.

There is not much problem on the bytecode side. As we discussed before,
the bytecode is a stream of (aligned) 32-bit values. Most platforms can
handle 32-bit value efficiently. Other platforms can do simple conversion.

I think what you really need to worry about is the file format, such as
constant area, linkage table, etc. There is no need to make sizeof(opcode)
== sizeof(INTVAL), since constant area can hold anything you need. All you
need to do is one more indirection.

Hong