Hello all,

Hopefully I won't get too burned by flames by jumping into the middle of
the conversation like this.

I recently stumbled across your list talking about ICU and Unicode. I am
not advocating that you should or shouldn't use ICU. Each group has their
own requirements. As a person that actively works on the ICU
implementation, I thought I should clear up some of your questions and
misconceptions on ICU. I also have a question of my own for this mailing
list later on.

ICU 2.1 works on MacOS X, and has mostly worked in the past on MacOS 8 and
9 (project files for older Macs are not included). Some companies actively
use ICU on the MacOS 8 and 9. The list of supported platforms that was
quoted on your mailing list recently was old.  Please take a look here
http://oss.software.ibm.com/cvs/icu/~checkout~/icu/readme.html#HowToBuildSupported
for the latest list of supported platforms.

ICU does not work on PalmOS or VMS yet; however, ICU does work on Alpha
based Linux, and ICU has been ported to the Tru64 (OSF) platform with
Compaq's cxx compiler in the past. We do not have the resources to do this
porting effort for every platform ourselves, and so we need other people to
do the porting for us. As an open source project we always welcome
contributions to make ICU work on other platforms.

It is true that parts of ICU uses C++. Some parts of ICU are written in C++
with a C wrapper. Some other parts are written in C with a C++ wrapper. It
depends on the API being used.  Most of the functionality in the common
library is written in C, and most of our i18n library uses C++. You can see
some of the C/C++ dependencies here
http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/userguide/design.html under API
dependencies.

The vast majority of people that we encounter do have a C++ compiler, and
we only use the most portable subset of C++. C++ features like templates,
exceptions, run-time type information, STL and multiple inheritance are NOT
used in ICU.  All of our C code is ANSI C89 compliant according to gcc.
Since ICU works with some old C compilers, I'm sure that there shouldn't be
any concerns about our usage of the C language.

Many questions about ICU can be answered on our icu4c-support list. You can
go here http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/archives/index.html to see how to
subscribe to the list.

On a side note, we have been thinking about putting regular expressions
into ICU someday (no firm plans yet). Maybe we could do some collaboration
with a regular expression engine in ICU. Would this group be interested in
such a collaboration?

Thank you for your interest in ICU.

George