Melvin Smith wrote:
> I'm curious, is it possible to carve out an "ICU-lite" in ANSI-C89?

It is possible, but it depends on what you want.  From what I understand,
the ICU common library would cover most of your basic Unicode needs, and
most of the effort could be put there.

As I recall, the following APIs could be standalone C APIs:

Charset conversion
Unicode properties
Unicode C style string functions
Unicode normalization
Arabic shaping
Unicode names
Resource bundles
and a few other smaller APIs

It may also be easy to convert the collation part of ICU into pure C code,
but it would require some code massaging.  Text formatting and text
transformation (transliteration) would be very difficult to convert to a
pure C implementation.  Those APIs are mostly in the i18n library.

I think it would be nicer if someone on the Parrot team helped us to make
an ICU-lite version of ICU.  Then it would be easier for the Parrot project
to get any bug fixes and Unicode standard updates that go into ICU.  The
Unicode standard is still evolving and they are still assigning new
characters all of the time.

George