[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Tue, 28 May 2002 01:19:25 -0400 Jeff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >newasm now handles constants, macros, and local >labels within. Here's a
>
> Great work!

Thanks.

> >expansion. Also, they don't expand >recursively. '.constant FOO
> >"blah"n.constant BAR "Hey, .FOO"' won't do what >you want, sadly.
>
> Thats exactly what I want. I don't think
> the assembler should do any sort of interpolation
> with string constants at all.

I wasn't crazy about recursive expansion either. Glad I don't have to
work on it now :)

> >that's what I'll work on next.
>
> When Simon first committed it, I tested
> newasm and noticed 2-3x speedup on assembly
> speed. Is this still the case?

I haven't been tracking assembly speed at all. Keep in mind that a perl
assembler is only a temporary measure, and it'll be rewritten in C
eventually. It's only written in Perl so that we can change features
rapidly. If it were in C (as it will be, once changes settle down), the
assembler would likely crystallize and problems would get fixed much
slower, if at all.

Also, if you want more speed, then separate the Macro and Assembler
classes out of the main file, and pass your code directly to the Macro
object instead of writing tests to a file. After the XS object is
rewritten in Perl, I'll rewrite the tests to use the newasm syntax, and
newasm will become the new standard.

> I've been running some tests with executing
> Cola on the fly, and the assembly phase (slow)
> is the big bug in the soup right now, however
> I've been using the old assembler.

Well, again, once this is all redone in C that should go away. I might
even work on that next, if everyone is comfortable with the current
format.

> PS: Thanks (Simon and Jeff) for a lot of hard
> work on newasm.

Thanks on both of our behalves. (Is that a word?) I don't want to cut it
over until the XS stuff is redone to my satisfaction, which means that
it's rewritten in perl. Building the XS extension there is causing no
end of confusion in the build process.

--
Jeff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>