At 2:24 PM -0500 5/29/02, David M. Lloyd wrote:
>But in that case I agree with Dan's
>analysis that flags should be used for signal handling just because
>writing portable signal handling code that does much more (in a
>potentially threaded environment) than that is very complicated.

Right, this is a lesson we learned (well, I assume we learned it)
with perl 5. The actual signal handler itself can't assume that any
structures external to itself are coherent.

Avoiding blocking system calls should help us out a lot here, since
the single biggest reason to have actual code in a signal handler (as
opposed to execting the code later on in a pseudo-signal handler) is
for alarm interrupting syscalls. And if we don't do that, well, we
should be far more OK.