On Sun, Aug 11, 2002 at 11:55:25AM +0200, Mattia Barbon wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Aug 2002 16:56:20 -0700 (PDT) Sean O'Rourke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > At this point, startup time dominates for anything as small as our test
> > programs, so for testing purposes we may want to look at some sort of
> > "batch mode".
> I had a patch to move things to
> lib/Parrot/Assembler.pm # front-end
> lib/Parrot/Assembler/Macro.pm
>                      Assembler.pm
>
> and to modify Parrot::Test to use Parrot::Assembler instead of calling
> assemble.pl;
> make test speedup
> Win32, PIII 700, 392MB: from ~6m10 to ~1m10
> Linux, P200 MMX, 64MB:
>   from:
>     real    14m46.652s
>     user    13m37.560s
>     sys     1m4.760s
>   to:
>     real    3m24.666s
>     user    3m7.730s
>     sys     0m14.790s
>
> I was about to submit, but recent commits means it is outdated...
> The patch is a trivial cut'n'paste work, so if you don't want
> to wait until august the 24th (going in vacation), it is trivial to do
> that.

Personally I'd find it useful if you sent the patch to the list, even
though it will no longer apply. I'd find it a lost easier to redo the
trivial cut and past by copying what you did with your patch in front of me,
rather than having to actually work out how to what you did from the
description. But I'm lazy :-)

Nicholas Clark
--
Even better than the real thing:        http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/