On a related note, are there any good tools for static code analysis
around?  The usual cross-reference stuff would be handy, but ideally
something that goes further.

Graphical would be good, interactive better (or at least cooler :).
Perhaps something like www.kartoo.com (needs flash) or
http://www.touchgraph.com/TGGoogleBrowser.html (needs java) that
lets you "explore" the relationships between things.

And, in case you're not familar with it, the "ID database" is a
very useful tool (quite old and alomost lost in the mists of time):
http://www.math.utah.edu/docs/info/mkid_toc.html
I highly recommend it.

Tim.