On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 07:05:22PM +0000, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> I was getting about 5% speedups on penfold against vanilla development perl.
> Penfold is an x86 box (actually a Citrix chip, which may be important) running
> Debian unstable, with gcc 3.2.1 and 256M of RAM.
>
> I tried the same tests on mirth, a ppc box, again Debian unstable, gcc 3.2.1,
> but 128M of RAM. This time I saw 1% slowdowns.

FWIW, in the past I've noticed that x86 and PPC do react differently to
optimizations.  I've had cases where things ran at the same speed on PPC
yet showed large differences on x86.

--

Michael G. Schwern   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Perl Quality Assurance      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>         Kwalitee Is Job One