Dan Sugalski wrote:
No. It isn't, and JITting doesn't have anything to do with this. The issue is expressable semantics, and in languages with active data (which encompasses a number of the languages we're interested in, icluding perl, python, and ruby) not allowing direct access to members of an aggregate makes doing things with that aggregate both slower and far more convoluted in a number of ways.

Would you please give an example of active data and why one needs the keyed ops to deal with it?

I for one am too heavily entenched in static languages and do not honestly know.

Matt