At 4:24 PM +0100 1/20/04, Leopold Toetsch wrote:
Dan Sugalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
At 1:46 PM +0100 1/20/04, Leopold Toetsch wrote:
The term "process id" is really misleading.

 Nope. It's the process ID. Nothing misleading there, unless you've
 done threading work under linux, since for a while it gave each
 thread a separate PID.

$ ps | grep [p]arrot 17472 pts/0 00:00:00 parrot 17473 pts/0 00:00:00 parrot 17474 pts/0 00:00:00 parrot

So the unless applies ;) This is a single parrot interpreter, with main,
thread-manager, and event-handler thread. 3 PIDs.

Right. Linux is, as I said, arguably broken here, but I don't want to argue that point. That's why I specified that the PID is the process id of whatever instantiated parrot -- in this case, no matter which thread you're in, when you ask for the pid from parrot you should get 17472. (In this case, at least)

Parrot needs to grab the pid at global initialization time and store it away for later pid queries.