On 25 Jan 2004, at 00:50, Gordon Henriksen wrote:

[...]

Is there something so terribly wrong with English? How about a general scheme of <adjective>* <noun>? So, respectively,

MixedArray
Array
FixedArray
StringArray
FixedStringArray

Array is what Perl familiars will usually want.

Did I miss something? What is Array here?

General scheme: Need something more specific? Type more. Not sure on Fixed, but I like it more than FLen. Other option is to flip it around and tag Resizable, but that violates my previous pricipal of "most useful = most convenient." I don't think MixedArray will see much use, so FixedMixedArray doesn't worry me too much. :)

I would definitely avoid the words mutable/immutable, as that will certainly be read by many (me :) to pertain to the values contained within the array.

Yes, I'm already anti-me on that. It should have been Resizable. And though that's more precise than Fixed, I agree with your principle.

So, to go back to Dan's original list, does that give us:

(FixedMixedArray - fixed-size, mixed-type array)
MixedArray - variable-sized, mixed-type array

FixedPMCArray - fixed-size, PMC array
PMCArray - variable-sized, PMC array

FixedStringArray - fixed-size, string array
StringArray - variable-sized, string array

FixedNumberArray - fixed-size, number array
StringArray - variable-sized, number array

FixedIntegerArray - fixed-size, integer array
IntegerArray - variable-sized, integer array

with

fixedarray - abstract fixed-size array
array - abstract variable-sized array

for the common functionality.