Edward S. Peschko wrote:
On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 09:53:47PM -0500, Gordon Henriksen wrote:

Edward,

Want to call strptime? Use NCI. No need for anything new in the core. That's WHY it's the CORE.

I think there is a misunderstanding here. I don't think that strftime by itself
in the core - which probably has system dependencies and inconsistancies - is a good idea. Or for that matter, calling strftime directly is a good idea.
But I'm doubtful that this can really be done vs having it as an op - hence the idea of an extensive benchmark.

On a platform with a halfway decent JIT, a pure-PASM implementation could be as fast as an op-based one, given liberal use of the non-PMC registers. Maybe faster--no need to transcode to ASCII, extract a C string, or hack around platform X's quirks. And I'd imagine that the Parrot standard library would be written to be as fast as possible.

Besides, how fast does your date handling really need to be?  I mean,
*really*?  Are you formatting eleventy billion dates in a tight loop or
something?

--
Brent "Dax" Royal-Gordon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Perl and Parrot hacker

Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia.

[And once again, I show my incompetence with Thunderbird...]