Leopold Toetsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Togos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>   $I1 = $I2 + $I3
>
>>   $P1 = $P2 + $P3
>
>> Which, of course, doesn't work. But this is what
>> languages like Python or Ruby would expect to be able
>> to do, as they don't need Perl's fancy variable
>> objects -- a register is good enough.
>> sementics of
>
> That and other arguments are of course all correct. I just have the gut
> feeling that having both opcode and vtable variants blows core size up
> to an isane value.

Couldn't you have a single opcode, C<assign_content Pn, Pm>, which uses
Pn's vtable assignment, and make C<add $P1, $P2, $P3> etc simply use
the 'make a new PMC' thing. That means that, to get the current
semantics you'd have to do

    $P2 = $P3 + $P4
    assign_content $P1, $P2

But I'm not sure that's an enormous loss.