FWIW, taking a look at the Debian-specific ICU patches for their testing branch might be worthwhile. They've patched the thing up to get it to build, and since it's the only system I have locally that *doesn't* build ICU, I suspect there's something either Debian-ish going wrong, or more Linux in general.

I'll try and get patches to use the system ICU install if there is one done today.