At 9:35 AM -0700 5/13/04, Larry Wall wrote:
On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 10:26:32AM -0500, Abhijit A. Mahabal wrote:
:
: On Wed, 12 May 2004, Larry Wall wrote:
:
: > In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it's almost impossible to do
: > recursive descent when you allow for defining new operator precedence
: > levels on the fly as Perl 6 does.
: >
: > : Operator precedence can be done in
: > : a recdescent grammar straightforwardly enough. It's a bit longwinded,
: > : but doable.
: >
: > Yes, of course, it *can* be done that way.  The point is you don't
: > *want* to do that part in recursive descent,
:
: I see a terminology issue looming here. Er, what is recdescent? The dragon
: book and Parse::RecDescent do not seem to use the same defn. According to
: aho/ullman "A parser that uses a set of recursive procedures to recognize
: its input with no backtracking is called a recursive descent parser". (p
: 180).  Parse::RecDescent does not shy away from backtracking, and in
: Aho/Ullman's eyes it would be a top-down parser, but not recdescent.

Well, I think the dragon book does violence to the language here.

And personally I'd be happy to do violence to the dragon book. (Not that it's *entirely* horrible, as I occasionally need to prop doors open or shim a broken table leg temporarily...)

But, anyway, snipping out the rest of this stuff...

The big problem is that I don't know *how* to implement a mixed-type parser generator. I'm not big on parsers in general, so I'm mostly stuck with the literature if I need to write one from scratch.

Since you've been itching to get into the internals anyway, this'd be a good place to start, y'know. :-P