At 12:22 PM -0700 5/13/04, Larry Wall wrote:
I'd take the latter approach myself, since in any event it will
probably need tweaks that are foreign to whatever tool you choose.
In particular, the fact that Perl 6 uses string comparison rather than
numeric comparison to do precedence levels is going to give almost
any standard tool a hissyfit.  (We do that so that the user never has
to specify a precedence level--all levels are specified relative to
an existing operator's precedence level.  And with strings, we can
fit as many new precedence levels into the interstices as the user
likes without ever running out of numeric precision.)

I think the prudent thing to do there, since we're going to very rarely be adding new operators, is to assign the darned things real precedence numbers which get dynamically set. Add a new operator between two others and everything gets renumbered.