Saturday, May 8, 2004, 11:39:03 PM, Dan Sugalski wrote:

>>I've spent most of today wading through Windows' linking stuff.  Here's
>>what I have learned:

DS> [Linker isdom of the ages, or at least the  hour, snipped]

DS> Works for me. The basic recommendations all seem sound, so unless
DS> someone's got an issue with them, let's start putting them all in
DS> place.

DS> I'm not sure about building multiple parrots at once at the moment,
DS> so I think we can defer that one for right now.

You're right, I remembered that that too after my head stopped
spinning.  Got too involved in the library stuff I checked.

There's another thing I would like to bring up: make.  I guess we
should stick to a single variant of it (hmm, boost jam
http://www.boost.org/tools/build/jam_src/ looks nice, but I guess GNU
make is the more suitable - and well known - choice).  This would avoid
the "don't use xxx, because it won't work on nmake/your make here".
Also, MS provides the complete compiler for download, but that package
comes without nmake (see README.win32), and the Makefiles currently
don't work with GNU make on Windows.
Someone with more cross-platform experience might want to comment on
that, though.  Maybe the current scheme is really sufficient, and I'm
bringing up a non-issue here.

Ron