At 2:11 PM -0400 8/5/04, Aaron Sherman wrote:
On Thu, 2004-08-05 at 13:43, Dan Sugalski wrote:

 Cool. On the Unix platforms we exec off 'sh' and pass in parameters
 (so we get command parameters split up right, IIRC). I'm presuming we
 don't do the same for Windows, so I'll make it the plain command and
 hope it all works out.

Well, that's one way you can do it, but it causes a ton of headaches, e.g. because

        exec "echo <user's text goes here>"

gets shell interpretation and fails, so by way of example only, Perl 5
allows for both usages depending on what you pass it. Parrot could
easily make the distinction based on being passed a string value or a
PMC array of some sort and end up with roughly the same functionality as
Perl (though Perl itself would not use this as-is, as it decides further
based on the content of the string, and will call raw exec(2) on the
results of splitting the string on whitespace if no shell metacharacters
occur, but I think that's a bit too much Perlishness to put in Parrot).

Either way, Parrot really HAS to provide a raw POSIX exec, as it cannot
be faked from a shell-using variant correctly.

Yeah, we really *should* do it right, rather than take the cheating way out as we are now. I'll go add this to the TODO list.