"Joshua Hoblitt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 11:49:33PM +0100, Jonathan Worthington wrote:
> If people have free time to spend on configure stuff, might it not be
> better spent working on the real configure system that we want to have
> (e.g. a set of makefiles for each platform to build miniparrot, then
> configure is a Parrot program run by miniparrot that figures stuff out > that
> we need to build the full Parrot)?

Perhaps this is just me being navie but I had imagined that some form of
the existing Configure system would live on as PIR/PBC that included
with the distribution to executed by miniparrot. Someday we will be be
able to compile perl5 to PIR, right?  Or even p5 -> p6 -> PIR.  ;)
One would certainly hope so. :-) I guess this approach can work if the code produced by the Perl 5 compiler only contains the subset of Parrot functionality that MiniParrot can handle.

Jonathan