On Feb 13, 2006, at 1:20 PM, Joshua Hoblitt wrote:

On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 09:28:40AM -0600, Chris Dolan wrote:
On Feb 12, 2006, at 6:52 PM, Joshua Hoblitt wrote:

It would also be 'really nice' have a glob(3) like method that is
implemented as a wrapper around *dir methods so the semantics are
portable.

My outsider opinion is that parrot should focus on exposing basic OS
functions (opendir, readdir, closedir) and leave the high-level
functions (ls, glob) to the languages or libraries.  My justification
for that opinion is security lockdown.  If there are more op-level
ways of accessing the system, then there are more features that
sandboxes like Safe.pm have to disable.  Even more critical is the
potential for creep.  If sandboxes have to follow a moving target,
then it could make it challenging to make security promises.

I think your slightly confusing OPs and PMCs.  Presumably the *dir
functionality would be implemented as OP codes while glob(3) would be
implemented in the OS.pmc.  For all intents and purposes PMCs can fill
the role of what you referred to as libraries.

Thanks for the clarification.  Apologies for the spam!
Chris
-- Chris Dolan, Software Developer, Clotho Advanced Media Inc.
608-294-7900, fax 294-7025, 1435 E Main St, Madison WI 53703
vCard: http://www.chrisdolan.net/ChrisDolan.vcf

Clotho Advanced Media, Inc. - Creators of MediaLandscape Software (http://www.media-landscape.com/) and partners in the revolutionary Croquet project (http://www.opencroquet.org/)