On Monday 17 November 2008 11:07:52 Andrew Dougherty wrote:

> Note, by the way, that perl-5.8.8 only shipped with Storable 2.15.

Perl 5.8.8 doesn't ship with File::Which either, and we require that too.  (We
do bundle that in our repository, which is something we shouldn't do and
something I thought we didn't do anymore).

Here are my assumptions:

* anyone building Parrot now can install dependencies (working C compilation
environment, potentially a bignum library, some CPAN modules, potentially
flex/bison or equivalents)

* it's simpler to require a single version of a dependency that we know will
work reliably across platforms and other dependency versions than to create
and maintain a matrix of platforms, dependencies, and versions to the effect
that people who meet the previous assumption sometimes don't have to
type 'cpan install Foo'.

I realize that requiring people to install Storable 2.18 is somewhat of a
headache, but it looks like the type of headache that's much smaller than the
headaches of the alternatives.

-- c