BL> On 09 Aug 2000 12:00:55 -0400, Chaim Frenkel wrote:
>> There was no mention of cross-platform line-ending support.

>> I suggested a while ago on p5p an improved binmode(), that might do
>> such magic among other things.

BL> Then it should do the *inverse* thing that binmode() does. This magic
BL> should only apply to text files, for whatever platform they originate
BL> from. If a file is binmode'd, Perl should keep the data as is, no
BL> conversion (or even interpretation) of the input, whatsoever.

It doesn't have to be called binmode(). Let's call it readmode().

        readmode(FOO, "CRLF");
        readmode(FOO, "os:macintosh");
        readmode(FOO, "os:MVS encoding:ebcdiic");

Wait, this sounds like a job for input/output filters.

Forget I said anything.

<chaim>
--
Chaim Frenkel                                        Nonlinear Knowledge, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                               +1-718-236-0183