On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Bart Lateur wrote:

> >Those are not the semantics of print.   It returns true (1) if successful, and
> >false (undef) otherwise.  You cannot change that.  If I write print "0", it
> >bloody well shan't be returning false.
>
> Oh, why not? Does anybody actually *ever* check the return value of
> print? I think it's not as if we'd break a lot of code.

uh, what? you don't do much socket programming now, do you? sockets
breaks all the time. Disks runs out of space while you write to
files. and so on and so on.

> Problem is: if you need defined() to see if the print was succesful, you
> cannot return what was printed as well. It's one thing or the other. So
> you cannot have it both ways.

I really don't understand why you want to have what's printed. If
you need it in a variable, you can just make the variable first and
then print.

 - ask

--
ask bjoern hansen - <http://www.netcetera.dk/~ask/>