> =head1 ABSTRACT
>
> Consensus has been reached that filehandles (currently
> barewords) will be revamped to become true $scalars, to
> make them consistent with other Perl variables.
>
> C<STDIN>, C<STDOUT>, C<STDERR>, and C<DATA> should follow suit and be
> renamed C<$STDIN>, C<$STDOUT>, C<$STDERR>, and C<$DATA>, becoming
> full-fledged scalar B<fileobjects>. In addition, C<ARGV> should become
> C<$ARGV> as well. The old function of C<$ARGV> (the currently open
> filename) will be available via polymorphism.
>
> =head1 NOTES ON FREEZE
>
> This was pretty much accepted by everyone, since it follows logically
> from filehandles becoming scalars. A few clarifications were added, but
> it otherwise remains the same from the previous version.

I don't know how large a point of view  I represent, but I do not agree that
all data should be decorated like scalars.  File handles work perfectly well
right now as undecorated terms with well defined characteristics -- they do _NOT_
autoconvert to numbers and strings -- and I feel that they should be kept that
way as an example of perl not whittling the corners off of thangs that do not belong
in the round hole of the "scalar" in order to make them fit there.

The opposition abandoning the argument out of exhaustion is not a consensus.

--
                          David Nicol 816.235.1187 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
           perl -e'map{sleep print$w[rand@w]}@w=<>' ~/nsmail/Inbox