On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 12:22:10PM -0400, John Porter wrote:
> I guess my question is, why do these need to be builtins?

They don't. But that does not mean they should not be considered.

> There is no limit to the funky algorithms one can come up with;
> not everyting should go in the core.

True, but if there is a very common idiom like these that people
are constantly requesting, why should they not be considered
if there is a considerable performace benefit.

Hopefully with true iterators it may be possible to do a lot
of them as extensions instead of as operators. But then we
need to consider if to include them in the stdlib.

Graham.