> I say this as a Unix weenie, albeit a Unix *user* rather than a Unix
> *programmer*.  I'm quite used to navigating the Unix filesystem but,
> having never braved Unix systems programming, had no conceptual link
> between deleting/"rm"ing files, and the term "unlink".  It tooks me
> quite a bit of camel-petting to find the right function, when I first
> needed it.

>From a user level, it might seem odd ("Where's rm?"). However, there is
one key distinction here: A Perl program runs file operations at a
system level. It needs to be able to handle everything the system can.

I am open to the possiblity of *adding* a remove() command if it had a
different fundamental ability from unlink(). For example, one could make
remove() remove *all* the links for a file, whereas unlink() only
removes one.

However, I think something like this really belongs in a module, like
this one:

http://www.perl.com/CPAN-local//authors/id/G/GA/GABOR/File-Remove0.20.readme

-Nate