> > > This RFC proposes that multiway comparisons such as:
   > > >
   > > >         if ( 0 <= $x < 10 ) { print "digit" }
   > > >
   > > > should do what the user means.
   >
   > I think this should mean what it means in Icon, namely, that
   > $x < $y  evaluates to false if $x >= $y, and evaluates to
   > "$y (but true)" if $x < $y.  This allows the operators to be
   > nested, i.e.   $x < $y < $z would be ( $x < $y ) < $z, which
   > performs the $y < $z comparison iff $x < $y.

I very much like Icon's failure model, but I was loathe to try and
graft it wholesale onto Perl 6. Doing it properly would require a
substantial rethink of the exception mechanism, flow control, the
nature of scalars, undef, etc., etc.

In the end I concluded that simple DWIMity on multiway comparisons
was enough.

But don't let that stop you counter-proposing the fuller mechanism. :-)

Damian