Thus it was written in the epistle of Nathan Wiger,
> > Second, as it seems common for someone learning perl to expect
> >
> >   $without_newline = chomp($previous_form);
>
> This proposal seeks to make things more consistent, which is good, but
> at the expense of being less usable, which is bad. For example, these:
>
>    chomp;
>    chomp(@file);
>    chomp($val = <$STDIN>);
>
> Now become:
>
>    $_ = chomp;
>    @file = chomp(@file);
>    $val = chomp(<$STDIN>);
>
> I don't particularly mind the last two - in fact they add some benefits
> (like not modifying the original), which are nice to have. However, that
> first one, frankly, drives me nuts.

Please reread the proposal.  chomp() called in void context continues to
work exactly as it does now.  None of the above need to change.  The below
are acceptable, I suppose (with the last, perhaps, being somewhat easier
to understand than its alternative) but they aren't necessary.

Ted
--
Ted Ashton ([EMAIL PROTECTED]), Info Sys, Southern Adventist University
It is here [in mathematics] that the artist has the fullest scope of his