Uri Guttman wrote:

> here's an interesting request. i want perl code to have decent access to
> some or all of the pod associated with that code.
>
> so, why do we need a way to get at pod (or other doc strings) in the
> code? one reason to have it comes from my work on stem. i want a remote
> module to be able to spit out a help screen to any requester and of
> course, i want that to be all or part of the pod or docs for that
> module. and you shouldn't have to keep 2 copies of the help text.
>
> there are 2 ways i know how to do it now and both suck in different
> ways. the first is to read the pod from the source file for the module
> you are in. it think the pod2XXX parser author has a module which does
> this. of course this is very slow.

pod2usage is the call I THINK you are refering to. Who cares if it is
slow? I'll bet that if you are writting to the screen or a file, THAT's
the slow part, not traipsing through the file parsing for POD. It might
make an interesting Benchmark test.

--
Matthew O. Persico

"If you were supposed to understand it,