Uri Guttman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> some people have mentioned help strings as special parts of a sub
> declaration like gnu lisp has. this could be more support for that type
> of thing. but i don't want it to be too strange.

Hmm...

   sub foo ($$;@) :lvalue
       "Documentation string here"
   {
       # meat
   }

You know, I'm not sure if that's ugly or beautiful. Of course, if it
did come into use there'd have to be some way for pod to get at the
docstrings, otherwise we'd end up with something like:

   =item foo ARG1, ARG2, [@ARRAY]

   Documentation string here

   =cut

   sub foo ($$;@) :lvalue
       "Documentation string here too"
   {
        # meat
   }

Which violates the 'never write stuff more than once' principle.

Err... I still haven't made up my mind about whether I like it though.

--
Piers