Dan Sugalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> >It's not precision, it's resolution. What do you do if your timers return
>> >values in 1/10ths of a second?
>>
>>What is the problem with that?
>
>You can't accurately represent a tenth of a second with floating point
>numbers.

You could if you made 1/10th second the "unit" of the float internally.

>If we're going to handle them, we might as well be exact.

Why - the 1/10 of second is not exact anyway (unless you happen to
have an atomic clock in an appropriate physical enviroment attached to
your machine). A double's mantissa is better than your typical oscillator.

--
Nick Ing-Simmons