On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 02:42:39PM -0400, Dan Sugalski wrote:
> At 01:36 PM 8/14/00 -0500, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:
> >On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 06:13:13PM -0000, Perl6 RFC Librarian wrote:
> > > =head1 TITLE
> > >
> > > Maintain internal time in Modified Julian (not epoch)
> >
> >How would this be stored?  As a floating point number?  What about
> >sub-second accuracy?  To get seconds you'd need about 5.15 decimal
> >places (let's just call that 6) I think it should be stored as 2 numbers,
> >the julian day and the seconds into that day.
>
> How 'bout 100ns ticks from base date, stored in a 64-bit number? That
> should see us into Y30K, assuming the integer is signed...

Sure, but does that mean that perl will support 64-bit ints on all
platforms?  I think automagic type promotion to/from bigints would be
great but it would swamp anyone doing lots of date/time calculations.
I'm just guessing that manipulating time values is much more common than
arithmetic with large numbers.

Or will we have special purpose stages in between able-to-use-native
and need-to-use-something-bigger, one of which could be 64-bit?

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff
[EMAIL PROTECTED]